10 Questions with YA Writer Rose Garcia (@RoseOnProse)



This Author Spotlight features YA writer Rose Garcia, author of Final Life.


Rose Garcia is a lawyer turned writer who’s always been fascinated by science fiction and fantasy. From a very young age, she often had her nose buried in books about other worlds, fantastical creatures, and life-and-death situations. More recently, she’s been intrigued by a blend of science fiction and reality, and the idea that some supernatural events are, indeed, very real. Fueled by her imagination, she created The Transhuman Chronicles—a series of books about people who have overcome human limitations. The first in this series is Final Life. Between juggling a busy life with her husband and two kids and frequent visits to the beach, Rose is hard at work on the companion to Final Life.

1. How did you get into writing?
Writing is something I’ve always wanted to do. However, I wasn’t raised in a reading or writing family, and so my love of writing turned into a private hobby. Later, I took my talents and went to law school. While I enjoyed the practice, I didn’t love it. My heart kept pulling me to writing. Finally, with the encouragement of my husband, I took the plunge and started writing.

2. What do you like best (or least) about writing?
To me, writing is the ultimate expression of creativity. I love the plotting, planning, imagining, character building, world building. What I like least about writing is sitting on my butt all day! I usually take my dogs on a four-mile jog before I start, otherwise I’d turn into Jabba the Hut!
 
3. What is your writing process? IE do you outline? Do you stick to a daily word or page count, write 7 days a week, etc?
I started writing as a pantser and quickly found that I needed to change. Now I follow a method I learned from one of my writer friends, Lynn Lorenz. (Sidebar: writers need writer friends for advice and to find critique partners.) Lynn organizes her writing by chapters and scenes—two scenes for each chapter. This method works great for me.

4. Who are some other writers you read and admire, regardless of whether they are commercially “successful?”
I don’t limit myself to any one genre or age group. That being said, I’m a huge fan of David Anthony Durham. He’s a master at character development and world building. I’m also a huge fan of the tension created by Stephen King and the quick pacing and excitement of Rick Riordan. I also love Terry Goodkind for his relationship building and strong female characters.

5. Should the question mark in the above question be inside or outside the quotes?
Outside, but don’t ask me to explain why!

6. What’s your stance on the Oxford Comma?
I still recall being taught that you didn’t need that last comma before the word ‘and’ when listing. Now editors and publishers say you do. But is it really necessary? I think not!

7. What is your book Final Life about and how did it come to fruition?
Final Life is about a seventeen-year-old girl who’s been killed in each of her past lives. Now on her final life, she must discover the secrets of her past before confronting the Transhuman hunter who wants to kill her for the last time. When I started writing Final Life, I knew I wanted to write about the supernatural in a real world setting. One idea led to another, and the story took off by itself.  

8. What’s your current writing project?
I’m hard at work on the sequel to Final Life. Plus, I’ve got a ton of ideas on the back burner that I can’t wait to tackle!

9. What book(s) are you currently reading?
I recently read The Sacred Band, book three in David Anthony Durham’s Acacia trilogy. I’m almost finished with The Maze Runner by James Dashner. After that, I’m on to Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl.

10. Who or what inspires your writing?
Anything and everything! Movies, TV shows, songs, my kids—you name it! The sky is the limit!

Finally, is there anything you’d care to add? Please also include where readers can find you online and buy your book(s).

Thank you Ryan for reaching out to me on twitter (@roseonprose) and asking if I’d like to be interviewed! For those out there interested in Final Life, please visit my website at www.rosegarciabooks.com. There you’ll find info on where you can get my book and how you can keep in touch with me. 

You're very welcome, Rose. Please let us know when the second installment in The Transhuman Chronicles is ready.

Be sure to visit Rose's website and buy a copy of Final Life today!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)