10 Questions with Writer Patricia Russo

Shiny Thing by Patricia Russo





This Author Spotlight
features

Patricia Russo

author of

SHINY THING




1. How did you get into writing?


Through reading.  I was a constant reader.  Since I have very poor eyesight, I also tended to skip the pictures in the books.  I focused on the text.  The words were what was real.  Words made worlds.  I was quite young when I decided I wanted to do that, too.


2. What do you like best (or least) about writing?


The best part is the initial flash, brain-spark, heart-lift, of an idea or theme or image, or, best case scenario, when several elements come together and form a complete, or almost complete, story, in my head.  Second best part is the actual writing of it.  Worst part is thinking what I’ve written sucks.  And I always think that what I’ve written sucks.  Sometimes it sucks eggs, and sometimes it sucks big hairy donkey dick, but it always sucks.


3. What is your writing process? IE do you outline? Do you stick to a daily word or page count, write 7 days a week, etc?


I try to write at least one new short story draft per month.  I do not outline.   I scribble shit in notebooks and on legal pads. An ‘outline’ would have the names of the characters (always a problem) and two or three elements that must be included.  And a lot of arrows curving around and pointing here and there.  And sometimes stray telephone numbers.


4. Who are some other writers you read and admire, regardless of whether they are commercially “successful?”


Can’t answer.  Would leave too many people out.


5. Should the question mark in the above question be inside or outside the quotes?


OUTSIDE.


6. What’s your stance on the Oxford Comma?


I am a strong proponent of the serial comma, though I know that this is a losing battle.


7. How many stories are in your amazing new collection (which is in stores now) SHINY THING?


19


8. Would it be too goading of me to ask, when are you going to finally write a novel?


I have tried.  They suck.  They suck like black holes. 


9. What book(s) are you currently reading?


Running Through Corridors, volume 1, by Robert Shearman and Toby Hadoke.


10. Who or what inspires your writing?


The desperate need not to be bored.


Finally, is there anything you’d care to add? Please also include where people can read your published stories, buy your book, etc.

I am a misanthrope who hates not only everybody, but everything.   Google my name plus fiction to find some stuff online; go to shiny-thing.com to find out about the collection.

Or, if you want to buy Patricia's book now, like, RIGHT NOW, and I know you DO, here's the link to Amazon: 

Thanks, Patricia!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Catching Up With Writer Roy Huff @realroyhuff

10 Questions with Author Sandra Glosser (@baccibone1)

10 Questions with Thriller Writer C.W. Lemoine (@CWLemoine)